Slightly late to this trend, I know, but better late than never right? I also had to find the version I liked before I added it to my virtual recipe Rolodex! This version is also naturally gluten free and veggie+antioxidant packed! I tried the original it was a little too Feta-ey if you know what I mean.
I love feta, but the whole block was a bit much, in my opinion. It also wrecked my system with the feta and the pasta. Sorry if that was TMI, but I’m just trying to keep it real🤣.
Here’s a quick video of my process if you’re more of a visual learner 🥰
I made simple changes with simple swaps, but I really liked this version/method of cooking it!
First change, was using half the block of feta as opposed to the whole thing. The resulting sauce was still creamy, just not as overwhelmingly powerful like the original.
Second thing I did was bake the tomatoes and feta mixture twice! The first time covered until the tomatoes burst. Second time at an increased temperature, uncovered until the tomatoes and cheese turned a bit golden.
Third, and probably most obvious, difference was the zoodles for noodles swap. I added the zoodles in raw, too, because I like the crunch. The sauce is also still how enough to heat the zoodles thoroughly so they don’t taste raw. I enjoy eating raw zucchini’s, but I realize most folks probably don’t enjoy that much 🤣.
Fourth is a super subtle addition of different colored tomatoes. The colored tomatoes added a different subtle sweetness and flavor variety than just using the all red ones, in my opinions.
Anyhow. Don’t want to give you my life story, but I wanted to give a brief overview of my changes so you could decide if you were still interested in the recipe. And if you are, well then without further ado…
- 1/2 block feta
- 1 container colored+red tomatoes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 zucchini’s, spiralized or zoodled 🤣
- Basil, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly salt your zoodles and set them in a strainer to allow some of the water to drain.
- Coat inside a baking dish lightly with olive oil.
- Add your feta to the center.
- Arrange tomatoes around the feta.
- Drizzle mixture with olive oil and spices.
- Bake covered at 350 until the tomatoes burst, about 30 minutes
- Increase temperature to 425 and bake uncovered until tomatoes and feta turn golden, about 10 more minutes.
- Break up feta and mix it with the tomatoes.
- Add your zoodles and mix gently until your zoodles are coated with the feta/tomato mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!