Aka, the Idiot Sandwich, according to Gordon Ramsay.
I don’t know though. He may have mis-judged this one, in terms of its potential.
Have you ever had a sandwich made with a bell pepper as the bread? I discovered it when I saw Gordon Ramsay’s hilarious video where he ridicules a woman for making one, which she dubbed her “low carb sandwich.” He said it wasn’t a low carb sandwich, but an “idiot sandwich.”
After I recovered from my laughing fit, I actually thought about it and thought it had some pretty serious potential with the right dips, sauces and ingredients! I will admit, the version Girdano Ramsay made fun of did not look too appealing…
So I set out to remake a few and here are a couple versions I came up with! I will be updating this post as I continue to Make and re-invent these. These are already gluten free, with pretty epic flavor combinations, and they can be easily adapted for any diet. They are also mostly plant based already, and I will give substitutions and/or omissions to make them fit different diets!
Bell Pepper Sandwich #1
You can also skip to the videos below, the first one is about 17 seconds if you’re really in a hurry, and the second is about 47 seconds if you can spare that extra 30 seconds for a more thorough instruct 😜
- 1 green bell pepper (can use any color)
- Goat cheese, to taste (about 1tsp)
- Hummus, to taste (also about 1-2tsp)
- 1-2 slices turkey (can use plant based alt)
- 1 slice avocado
- Mixed greens, to taste/fit
- Sprouts to taste/fit
- Micro-greens for a garnish
- TJs Everything But the Bagel
- Slice the top off of your bell pepper and de-vein
- Spread desired amount of goat cheese on 1 side of bell pepper.
- Spin it around and spread desired amount of hummus on the other side.
- Take avocado slice and place it on the side with the hummus.
- Place your turkey on the side of the pepper with the goat cheese.
- Fill in the remaining space with greens, then sprouts.
- Top with micro greens and EBTB. enjoy!
I love it this way because it is very portable and nothing will fall out the bottom! So I’d you’re always eating on the go like me, the mess is minimal, if not nonexistent.