This is really great for oozing out every ounce of flavor and use from your favorite peanut sauce; either from takeout or a peanut sauce you make yourself! It also adds a great protein punch to your salad, while keeping it vegetarian. You can also make your own peanut sauce, or use the one I give below and modify it for any allergy. Make it refined sugar free by using maple syrup. Make it soy and gluten free by substituting Tamari for soy sauce. And make it peanut free, by using a different nut better (almond butter works VERY well here).
I will give the recipe I use and make often (it can also be found here with an amazing ginger chicken dish), but you can use any sauce. When we were in Hawaii, we frequented the MOST AMAZING Thai place on the planet and I ALWAYS had them wrap the sauce for me. No matter how little they thought was in there. I had a plan for it…
All you have to do to squeak out every last ounce of your favorite peanut sauce, is add some to a deep bowl or your salad bowl. Next, add a little hot water, just a couple table spoons at first to thin it out. Next, take your whisk and vigorously combine the ingredients. Alternatively you can also add this to a high speed blender like a Vitamin. This has an emulsifying effect that helps the flavors travel while they coat the massaged kale you’re about to throw in there. Anyhow, here is what you will need.
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter (can easily sub almond butter)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. Chili garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 1 1″ piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp. Honey
- 1 bunch kale, washed with stems removed
- 1-2 tbsp avocado or olive oil*
- juice of 1/2 lime
*alternatively you can use evoo or avocado oil spray if you’d like. I do this frequently for convenience. Just make sure your spray only has the said oil listed as ingredients and no “propellant.”
Peanut Sauce Directions:
- Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, heat (Sriracha or chili garlic sauce), ginger, honey, and ¼ cup warm water in a small bowl until smooth and pourable. If sauce still looks a little thick, continuing adding water until it reaches a drizzle-able consistency.
- Remove lid from pot and fluff rice with a fork. Pluck out and discard star anise. Serve chicken and rice with peanut sauce, cucumber, and cilantro alongside.
Salad Base Directions:
- Spray or pour oil over your kale that has been thoroughly washed and dried.
- Vigorously massage the kale with your hands until you can physically feel the kale soften and become more malleable.
- Squeeze the lime juice and sprinkle the salt and pepper over your kale and toss or massage gently one more time to ensure the kale is coated.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of your peanut sauce into the bottom of your bowl.
- Pour 2 tbsp (or more according to taste/texture) hot water on top of the sauce. Whisk vigorously or add this mixture to a high speed blender and blend on high for about 10 seconds.
- Add your massaged kale and toss the salad with tongs or your hands to ensure the kale is evenly coated.
- Top as desired. I like using pepitas and/or cranberries or tuna and carrots depending on my mood.
Here is the link to the video ❤️