Sheesh, it sure took me long enough! And I honestly almost boxed these babies up and forgot to post. Lucky for me, I found an Instagram challenge of all things that reminded me.
These little cookie boxes are great gifts for teachers, friends, neighbors etc. We give them to the USPS, UPS, Fed Ex folks, mail workers and gate guards! You can make a day of it making oodles of cookies with friends and family and check that Christmas Activity box too 😜. The sugar cookie cutouts are always popular with my kiddos. Both making and frosting…
I’m not really an expert at packaging/boxing yet, but I haven’t had any complaints. Ain’t nobody got time to be upset about a little Holiday Cheer. Here are the cookies that went into my box with the directions below.
- Oreo Truffles
- Chocolate Orange Truffles
- Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Sugar Cookies with Matcha, Strawberry, Wolfberry and Turmeric frosting… mostly used for color
Sometimes if I’m running out of time, or have more folks than I initially thought, I’ll cheat and add a couple not so home made cookies, from brands I trust to ones to to mix too🤷🏻♀️. You do what you can, right?
Oreo Truffle Ingredients:
- 1, 32oz pkg oreos
- 1 pkg cream cheese, softened
- Melted chocolate to coat
- peppermint extract, orange zest*
*optional, and don’t use together!! It just changes the flavor of the truffle depending on what you use
Oreo Truffle Directions:
- Blend Oreos to very fine crumbs in batches in a high powered blender or food processor
- Set aside some of the crumbs for topping
- With a wooden spoon, mix Oreos with cream cheese until it is all well incorporated and resembles a big giant black pasty blob. Almost like tar (vy appetizing image, I know)
- You can roll them into balls right away or chill them for a bit before rolling onto balls. Should make about 35-42 of them depending on your patience level…
- Chill Oreo truffle balls
- Melt desired amount and type chocolate whichever way you’d like (stove, microwave etc)
- Use whichever method you desire to coat the Oreo balls. My friend and I used spoons, but you could just as easily dip them!
* for peppermint truffles, add 1 tsp peppermint extract to the Oreo cream cheese mixture when mixing.
** for dark chocolate orange flavored truffles, add 1.5 tbsp orange zest to the Oreo cream cheese mixture and mix it right on in there
Good Ol’ Fashioned Sugar Cookie Recipe:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2.5C Sifted Flour w/ 1/4 tsp salt
Good Ol’ Fashioned Sugar Cookie Recipe Directions:
- Cream the butter and sugar with beaters or in a Kitchenaid Mixer
- Mix in egg and vanilla
- Add flour and salt until mixture comes together in a big dough ball
- Chill for at least 30 minutes
- Flour your surface and roll out dough. Use cookie cutters and go nuts!
*I also used Minimalist Bakers 1 bowl, grain free cutout cookies and had great success!
Sugar Cookie Frosting:
I have 3 kids y’all, so I kept it simple and used the powdered sugar + milk method. I didn’t really toy with buttercream. Naturally, I had no food coloring, but I did have freeze dried strawberries I crushed into powder for the red, Suncore Wolfberry Superfood Powder for the purple, Collagen Matcha for green and Turmeric for yellow (you use so little you don’t even taste it, I promise). You can kinda taste the green tea one because the flavor is a bit more powerful, but it is very subtle and yummy! Even my kids liked it. Promise
- Mix a pinch of turmeric with 2c powdered sugar. Mix well. Add 1 tbsp milk and mix
- Mix 1 tbsp Collagen Matcha with 2c powdered sugar until well incorporated. Add 1 tbsp milk and mix until a paste forms.
- Mix 1 tsp Wolfberry Powder with 2c powdered sugar. Add 1 tbsp milk and mix until a paste forms.
- Crush about 3-5 freeze dried strawberry slices (or use powder at the bottom of the bag) with 2c powdered sugar. Add 1 tbsp milk and mix until a paste forms.