The funny thing is I don’t even know how to pronounce this dish… 🤣😬🤷🏻♀️
I just know that it is DELICIOUS!
It’s like creamed spinach with these warm and flavorful Indian Spices. I had it at a local Indian restaurant here, then saw it in Bon Apetit Magazine and had to try it with my own spin.
I haven’t tried making my own cheese yet, so I cheated and just fried up some Ricotta😬🤷🏻♀️. But the spinach is delicious. I saw Aarti Sequeria make this on Food Network and used her recipe with a few tweaks
Ok. Here’s what you need and how to do it:
1 teaspoon turmeric*
1/2 teaspoon cayenne*
Pink Himalaya salt*
2tbsp vegetable oil*
Roughly 1/4c Ricotta or 7oz Feta Cheese
1 (16-ounce package) frozen chopped spinach
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green serrano chile, finely chopped (remove seeds to reduce spicyness)
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, stirred until smooth
*only use these if you’re using Feta
1.* Cube Feta and toss in * ingredients. Let them marinate while you prepare the spinach
2. Thaw spinach and purée in food processor or Vitamix until very smooth
3. Warm a shallow pan over medium high heat and toss the cheese in as it warms. The Feta will be easier to crisp up than the ricotta. The ricotta will splatter a bit and you have to make sure the pan doesn’t get too hot. Alternatively you could do nothing with the Feta and spoon it in at the end and it’s still pretty good! Remove the cheese from the pan (if fried) and set aside
4. Add 1 tbsp ghee to the pan. Add the onions, ginger, garlic and chile. Sauté the mixture until it’s evenly toffee-coloured, which should take about 15 minutes. Add the garam masala, coriander and cumin. Add water as needed to make sure your spices/onion mixture isn’t burning or sticking to the pan. Sauté 5 more minutes
5. Add the spinach and stir well, incorporating the spiced onion mixture into the spinach. Add a little salt and 1/2 cup of water, stir, and cook 5 minutes with the lid off.
6. Turn the heat off. Add the yogurt, a little at a time to keep it from curdling. Once the yogurt is well mixed into the spinach, add the Feta/ricotta cheese. Turn the heat back on, cover and cook until everything is warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve.